Switzerland

Friday, August 16, 2013

My First Book-Signing Event!!


Now that my book has officially been published (happy dance), the next step is book signing events! I was a little nervous about this part...I hate being the center of any type of attention! But I got through speech class in college so surely I can get through a book-signing event!

I contacted my marketing rep the beginning of May saying that I wanted to set up a book signing tour for mid-June and visit many different cities across 4 states (places that I am familiar with and have family in as I have family and friends spread all over). My marketing rep said he would try to get something together. I recommended Bayou Book Co in Niceville (recommended to me by my MIL) and he said he would look into it.

After not hearing from my marketing rep (for three weeks) about any book signing events and after multiple emails and phone messages that were not returned, I decided to try a different approach. I reached out and asked to speak with another rep (anyone else!) who could help answer some questions about the upcoming book signing tour. I was directed to a lady that said it was not possible to do the tour during the dates I requested because it was too close to my release date (why didn’t they tell me this from the beginning?). She also said that niche marketing (buy and sell books myself) is the way to go, not retail because it could take years to sell 1000 books retail. I started thinking, why did I pay $3990 for marketing if I have to do it all myself!

Well, I like challenges and I want my $3990 back so I decided to stick with retail and find places that would do book signings retail. I emailed her and out of courtesy decided to copy my marketing rep (who at this point I had still not heard from) stating that I would like to set up a book signing tour in mid-July (that should be plenty of time) and I will not be bringing the books, the bookstore needs to supply them. She said she would get started on it.

The beginning of June my marketing rep finally contacted me (a month later) saying that he had set up an event in New Orleans, but that I would need to bring the books. I re-sent him my previous email and re-stated that although I was excited about the event, I would not be buying any books so they needed to find companies that would supply the books. I re-iterated my points a few times and made sure he understood.

June 12 I got my first marketing report which lists scheduled events, event updates, and venue contacts that have been made. The third party marketing company that my rep worked with had contacted 22 venues between the 4 states.

I got an email from my rep saying that the marketing company had set up an event at Bayou Book Co in Niceville Florida and that I would need to bring the books. I must not have made myself clear before..I immediately wrote back and said that I did not have books to bring and that as stated before they needed to set up events where the books were supplied. I did this because #1. I did not have the money to buy 20+ books and #2. It would not count towards my 1000 books that I needed to sell in order to get my $3990 back. 

I got a call back immediately after I sent the email. My marketing rep was angry and rude over the phone, saying that he just didn’t understand why I wouldn’t buy the books and that I was making the company look bad by backing out of the events. He talked over me and kept scoffing and sighing throughout the conversation. It was very unprofessional and rude. 

I could not believe he was treating me this way! I calmly stated my reasons and reminded him that I had told him multiple times that I would not be supplying books, I couldn't afford it! Also, I paid good money for him to market my book and did not feel like I should have to fork out additional money for these events...after all, I was driving 8+ hours to get to this particular event! Even after I explained my reasons, he continued to bully me into buying books.

This conversation totally ruined my day! I couldn’t even be happy and enjoy the reality that I was published…I cried and moped around the house for awhile wondering why I hadn’t looked into this company more before signing the contract and handing over $3990. That money was supposed to go towards my publicist…who was supposed to help publicize my book...not bully me into buying my own book!

Surprisingly, he finally conceded and said that he did not want to cancel another event and that he would send me 20 free books for the event within 10 days. Wow, I was pleasantly surprised and thoroughly shocked!!

Almost a month later (less than 2 weeks before the event), I still had not received the books. I sent an email politely asking about the books and I had a few other questions about the event. Instead of an email back, I received a random Fedex tracking update a few days later...


________________________________________________________________________________

This tracking update has been requested by:

Name:
'not provided by requestor'
E-mail:
'not provided by requestor'

________________________________________________________________________________



Tate Publishing of Tate Publishing - Print Shop sent Dail, Danielle of Dail,



I almost didn’t look at it because I thought it was junk mail. It was very confusing, but I figured it must have something to do with the books they were supposed to send. I was right...the books arrived about a week before the event! (a month after he said he would send them!) I'm not sure I would have ever gotten them if I hadn't reminded him...

I never received any answers to the other questions I had about the event so I felt very unprepared going into the book signing event…I wasn’t coached by my rep much at all (form email with a few tips). I had sent in 2 posters and some rack cards for advertisement purposes to Bayou Book Co and my MIL passed out cards and spread the word so I hoped that would do the trick!

July 20 came quickly and in the end, the event went very well! Bayou Book Co was able to answer most of the questions that Tate did not and they were very hospitable! I sold all the books I had brought (21) and was able to meet another author who was having his book signing at the same time, John J Kelley (check out his book, The Fallen Snow)! It was a pleasure meeting him and signing books 
next to him!






Whew, I did it! My first book-signing event...so surreal! I was recently able to set up two more events...this time it is retail!! Whoo hoo!!! I will be signing books at Barnes and Noble in The Woodlands (TX) from 2:00-4:00pm Saturday, September 14. On Saturday, September 21 I will be at Barnes and Noble in Baton Rouge (Citiplace Court) during story time starting at 2:00pm! I am so excited about these upcoming events! If I do well they might invite me back so please come out and show your support!!!

I was hoping to be able to share with you how many books I have sold so far, but my first royalty check is late and that's the only way I can track my progress (I've asked). I will keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment